Traditions for Couples
Do you have any traditions with your love … Something you always do? Happy memories you can reminisce about fifty years from now? If not, now is a great time to start. Browse our list of traditions for ideas, or create your own.
- Read the Sunday comics together.
- Greet your mate with a kiss and “I love you” as soon as you arrive home.
- Eat dinner together at the table, instead of at separate times.
- Spend your lunch breaks together one day a week.
- Kiss at every red light.
- Create a secret word that means something for you both as a couple. It could be an acronym for a phrase that describes your relationship or feelings, such as SHMILY. Use it in cards, lovenotes, messages on the bathroom mirror, etc.. It could be a word that means “I love you”, or something you say when you want to make love. Don’t tell anyone else what your secret word means.
- Find time at the end of the day to unwind together. Take an idea from “The Story of Us” (movie) and ask what the “high and low” point of each other’s day was.
- Have a date night, or day, once a week. You don’t have to go out, and you don’t have to spend money. Click here for ideas.
- Attend church together on Sunday morning or evening. Visit different churches until you find one that you both enjoy.
- Plant a vegetable or flower garden every summer and tend to it together.
- Create affectionate nicknames for each other. nickname ideas
- Cook breakfast together on Saturday or Sunday morning. Make fancy things that you may not have had time to make, or enjoy, on hectic weekdays. Ideas: eggs benedict, omelets, blueberry pancakes, english muffins with egg, ham and cheese.
- Create a secret signal that you can use in public to convey a message. The message might be “I love you” or “You look beautiful”…
- Wake your partner up in the morning with kisses.
- I heard of a couple that took their honeymoon in Italy, after they got back just the thought of Italy brought warm memories of romance and intimacy. So, the wife started a tradition and let her husband figure out for himself what it meant. Whenever she wanted to have a really special, intimate evening together she would cook pasta for dinner. Did you take your honeymoon at an exotic beach resort? Leave little jars of sand lying around as a signal. Did you go somewhere colder? Drape your winter jackets on the bed or couch. The possibilities are endless.