The following 30 questions for couples are excerpted from Michael Webb’s e-book, 1000 Questions for Couples.
When you’re done reading, follow the link at the bottom of the page to buy his book and have immediate access to 970 more questions!
Email them to your sweetheart or print them out and discuss them over dinner, in bed or on the phone.
- What does my family do that annoys you?
- Is it ever appropriate for someone to express anger in a physical way? If so,
when and how?
- If a fire destroyed your home and all of your belongings, what would you do? If
you could take out three things before the blaze, what would they be? (Assuming
there is no one in the house at the time of the fire.)
- When you are sick and feeling poorly, do you like to be alone or do you like to
be pampered and have someone close to your side most of the time?
- Do you think you would prefer a calm, loving, consistent marriage or one that
was full of excitement, wild times and rocky patches?
- What makes you feel secure and safe?
- What rituals could be added to our relationship on a daily, weekly, monthly and
yearly basis that would help us to remain close?
- Do you need to hear “I love you” or similar words on a regular basis from your
- Which do you think should have the final say in decisions – logic or emotions?
- What five things have you done in your life that you are most proud of?
- If your partner had an affair, how would you react? Could you forgive him or
- Over the last five years how do you think you have changed for the worse?
- On which topics do you feel qualified at giving advice?
- If you could live one year of your life all over again without changing a thing,
what year would you choose? Why?
- Do you prefer receiving expensive gifts or ones that come from the heart?
- What first attracted you to me? How has that one attraction changed since then?
- If you suddenly became blind, how would your idea of the perfect mate change?
- Are you currently comfortable with your body? If not, what would you change to
make you comfortable?
- What do you think are your optimum hours of sleep to be fully energized?
- If you could plan any vacation for us, where would it be?
- Is there anyone you would be willing to die for?
- If your dear friends wanted you to donate sperm or eggs because they were
infertile, would you do so? How would you feel about your mate doing so? What
about donating them for a couple that would remain anonymous?
- Do you believe there is one right person for you out there in the world or that
there can be many different potential mates that you could live blissfully with?
- If you had to pick a different city to live in with your sweetheart and
proximity to family and friends didn’t matter, which city would it be?
- If you had to take a paid sabbatical and couldn’t work for an entire year, what
would you most like to do?
- If someone wanted to give you a $50 gift certificate to use on yourself, which
store/theatre/spa would you tell him or her you wanted.
- If you and your spouse had two cars, one much nicer than the other, who do you
think should drive the newer vehicle? Would it make any difference if only one
of you worked?
- What feeling do you have the most difficulty expressing?
- Is there anything you feel you must accomplish before you die? What steps do you
need to take to achieve these goals?
- Which family members should we buy birthday or special holidays gifts for
(parents, siblings, aunts/uncles, grandparents, cousins, etc.)?
> more questions for couples!