8 Sentimental Valentine Ideas
Valentine’s Day is a prime opportunity to show your love for the most important person in your life. The best Valentine’s Day gifts demonstrate how important your partner is to you by being highly personalized ? a gift that only you can give because you know your partner so intimately.
When you take the time to personalize her Valentine’s Day gift, you show that you took the time to really think about what she would like. (And it proves that your gift is not simply an obligatory gesture.)
Here are eight ideas for giving a Valentine’s Day gift that is personalized and sentimental. Try combining two or more of these ideas to create something that will be remembered for years to come.
- Give her favorite kind of flowers. While some may worry that the gift of flowers is cliché the trick is in the personalization. If she is traditional and formal, opt for the long stemmed red roses. But surveys indicate that more than 60% of women prefer bouquets in pastel colors, such as yellow, peach, pink, and white. Tailor your floral choice to her unique personality. What colors does she favor in her home and office? What kinds of plants and flowers are in her home? If you don’t know her favorite flower and her favorite color, ask. Women love it when men know these details about them.
Choose your floral arrangement accordingly, and take the time to put some thought into the card, as well. Your best bet is to write your own romantic sentiment that pulls from the specifics of your relationship. If you’re stuck, simply make a list of 5 or 10 things that you love about your partner, the more specific the better. For example, “I love the way your hair smells after a walk in the woods,” or “I love the way you take care of me when I’m sick.” Brainstorm specific memories and list them in the card.
- Burn a CD of special songs. Include her favorite songs, as well as songs that are important to your relationship. Do not forget those songs that bear a special message about the way you feel about one another. If you are stuck, include the classic romantic love songs, perhaps “Wonderful Tonight” by Eric Clapton or “Forever and Ever Amen” by Randy Travis.
- Surprise her with her favorite meal and/or dessert. Here’s a romantic standby: chocolate covered strawberries. Purchase some chocolate covered strawberries, or whip some up yourself. All you need is fresh strawberries (preferably long-stemmed), a small bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips and about a teaspoon of vegetable shortening. Melt the chips in the microwave, stirring in the shortening. Then dip the washed and dried strawberries in the melted chocolate, and place on waxed paper to cool. These are fun to share with a bottle of champagne, in front of a roaring fire.
- Tickets to an event your partner will really enjoy. Whether it’s an opera, a ballet, a sporting event, or a monster truck rally, the key, once again, is to personalize the event to your partner’s unique tastes.
- What is her favorite pampering treat? Whether it’s a massage or a pedicure, set her up with an hour or two just for her. Or, better yet, go along and enjoy a massage alongside her.
- Jewelry. Many women dream about getting a sentimental piece of jewelry on Valentine’s Day. And most jewelers offer great discounts on heart pendants, as well as diamonds, this time of year. You can personalize jewelry in two different ways: 1. Make sure that the item you choose is something she is likely to wear. Does she prefer necklaces to bracelets? Would she wear an anklet? What is her favorite kind of stone? (Hint: it might not be a diamond.) 2. Add a simple engraved message.
- Make a simple photo book of the times that you have spent together. Or frame your favorite photo of the two of you. Many online photo processing websites will allow you to make an inexpensive enlargement of a favorite photo. Some will even ship it to you, framed.
- Plan a romantic weekend getaway. This doesn’t have to cost a lot. Go to an online travel website and search for romantic weekend specials in your city. The Internet makes it easy to find lots of great romance packages for couples, especially around Valentine’s Day. Your mate may even have a favorite hotel or spa where she loves to stay ? or has always dreamed of staying.
The key to giving the ultimate romantic gift is to fit it exactly to your partner. If you don’t know the details, simply ask her what she loves.
A personalized Valentine’s Day gift shows that you have been listening and that you have taken the time to pick out something perfect. It shows your partner that you truly care, (and it proves that you are quite a catch).